It’s getting toward evening where I live, and I want to know if you are feeling sleepy yet? I am! Did you know that getting quality sleep is very important because it helps keep your body rejuvenated, healthy, and fully ready to take on each new day.
Even if you’re not feeling sleepy yet, I hope you will be able to take something from this post and use it to help you sleep today!
Sleep is something most people do not get enough of due to the ridiculous amount of demands made on the average working adult (or young adult). Just to make a living (or go to school) and still have a social life you often end up staying up late and waking up early.
The truth of the matter is that sleep is VERY important to the body and to your well-being, period.
Getting more sleep means you will:
- fin yourself less irritable.
- be more productive.
- be happier.
- have better health.
- get sick less often.
- feel more energized.
- feel better in general about life.
Numerous studies and doctors will agree that sleep is extremely important. Still, taking sleep medication is not for everyone, so be sure to discuss your insomnia or sleep issues thoroughly before taking a prescription sleep aid. In fact before you try anything for help with sleep it is important to talk to your doctor or pharmacist about drug interactions (if you are on other medications, etc).
Still, if you are looking for a more natural route you could:
- Drink a glass of warm (or cold) milk or a cup of herbal tea.
- Take a warm shower/bath before bed.
- Read a book to ease you into a routine of sleep.
- Taking a melatonin supplement and/or a magnesium supplement from your local health food store. (Of course, be sure to check with your doctor if you are on any medications before using these too!)
This means avoiding bright light, especially blue light, such as the type typically emitted from electronics (TV, computer, cell phones, bright ceiling lights) because this will just make you feel more awake; it disturbs your body’s ability to slow down for the night (and create the much-needed melatonin it needs to rest and repair). There are apps and settings on many smartphones and tablets that reduce or eliminate blue light emissions. That way if you have to use your devices it is less likely to interfere with being able to fall asleep.
So, even if it means:
- putting the kids to bed earlier,
- not going to as many social events,
- or not taking on another project at work it is important to get your sleep!
After all if you do not take care of yourself then nothing else will end up getting 100% of your energy either! Are you feeling sleepy yet? If not I hope you will be heading to bed to get your sleep soon!
Guten Tag meine fruende! (Good day my friends!)